Another month has come and gone, and for my reading life it was very successful! I finished 7 books total (really wanted it to be 8, but the last week of March was threw too many adult responsibilities at me and I didn’t get enough time *harrumphs*).
- Divergent by Veronica Roth
- Among the Imposters by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Among the Betrayed by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Among the Barons by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Among the Brave by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Among the Enemy by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Among the Free by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Notice a trend?
For the past couple years I’ve been collecting books by Margaret Peterson Haddix, in particular the Shadow Children series. I read the first book, and wanted to complete the series, but I wanted to own all of them so I could read through them all at once. That time, obviously, finally came.
Favorite Book of the Month: Divergent
Why? See my full post on what I thought of the book here. But in summary, I was just so pleasantly surprised by this book. It drew me in, I had fun, I had not fun when I was supposed to, and I cared for the characters. I just really wanted a good YA Sci-fi Dystopian and this was it.
Least Favorite Book of the Month: Among the Free
Why? I’m honestly so sad to say this, but the last book in this seven book series disappointed me so much. It was from my favorite character’s perspective, and yet he wasn’t the same character I had learned to love. It was like all the progress and growth he made was gone. He changed in a way I didn’t like and it really effected my enjoyment. But not only that, the ending just…. fell flat. It was too easy. I realize this is a Mid Grade book, but still. I felt cheated.
A Quick Look at the Other Books:
Among the Imposters
- Rating: 4 stars
- Thoughts: By far my favorite book in the series (besides book one). Luke grows so much here, the mystery is great, and the kids act smart. It makes me happy.
- Favorite Moment: Hard to choose… but I’m going to say when Luke looses his garden. It’s so devastating, and I ached for him. The emotions were perfect in that scene.
Among the Betrayed
- Rating: 3 stars
- Thoughts: Not my favorite by far. I really disliked Nina as a character in this book. Later on she became a favorite, but in this book she was very much different and I didn’t like being in her head. The other characters were a mixture of “okay I like these kids” to “gosh stop being jerks” and the whole book I felt myself skimming to just get through all this already.
- Favorite Moment: When Alia whips out fake ID cards to Nina’s shock.
Among the Barons
- Rating: 4 stars
- Thoughts: I loved this book! We’re back in Luke’s mind, he’s so much braver and stronger now. He’s smart. The entire book kept me absorbed and was incredibly interesting. It probably ties in favorite book of the series place for me, come to think of it.
- Favorite Moment: The final party before the… Big Crash. *whispers* Spoilers!
Among the Brave
- Rating: 3.5 stars
- Thoughts: I really enjoyed being with Trey. His character growth was beautiful and while I did find myself skimming a bit, I believe that was more because of the age difference between me and the target audience. Again, kids acting smart. I love that. And I loved that we got to see a lot of other characters in this one, and pieces of the puzzle start to fall together. The only reason this one gets a 3.5 instead of a 4 is because of the few dry parts of skimming.
- Favorite Moment: Busting out of a Population Police camp ❤
Among the Enemy
- Rating: 3.5 stars
- Thoughts: This one was incredibly interesting. Because I really enjoyed it. But there were parts that were very slow and bored me. And then it hit a point in the middle and it sped up and had me hooked again. But I really loved how she took us into someone else’s head, but also away from the main action, and delved into the emotions of the bad guys a bit. It intrigued me.
- Favorite Moment: There are lots of little moments I loved in this one. I think my favorite is just in general how Matthias’ grief and small actions caused such huge ripples in the enemy ranks.
Well, that’s it for this month! April is proving to be pretty busy, but hopefully I’ll have more than just one book to show for it next month. Until then, happy reading everyone!
How many books did you finish in March? What was your favorite?